'Ortho' means straight and 'Dontic' means teeth. An orthodontic specialist focuses on how to provide aligned teeth to the patient. At Floss Dental, orthodontic treatment is designed specifically to meet the distinct challenges of teeth and jaw alignment. Our specialists focus on bite correction, straightening teeth, and crowding to ensure that you feel confident with your smile.
Do I need braces?
The best way to understand if you need braces or any other orthodontic treatment is to visit your dentist. However, the following conditions are some early indicators that you must keep in mind:
- Improper Bite that causes difficulty in chewing and wears down teeth
- Crooked Teeth that causes gum disease and dental caries
- Teeth Crowding that leads to poor oral hygiene
Furthermore, if you notice any of the following conditions, you may be a candidate for orthodontic treatment:
- Overbite – in such cases the upper front teeth are placed too much in front over the lower teeth.
- Underbite – in such cases the lower teeth are placed forward or the upper teeth placed behind the lower teeth.
- Crossbite – usually in normal bite the upper teeth overlap the lower teeth, when this reverse the lower teeth come forward it causes misaligned teeth and difficulty in chewing.
- Open Bite – in normal occlusion when one bites all the teeth come in contact with no gaps present between them. When there is gap in front teeth or on the sides when you bite it’s called open bite.
- Misplaced Midline – The two upper center teeth make the midline of the jaw if this line doesn’t coincide with the midline of the lower teeth and the face.
- Spacing/Gaps – These are present between the teeth as a result of missing teeth or teeth of smaller size or due to difference in tooth and jaw size.
- Crowding – when there are too many teeth for the jaw to accommodate then teeth start to crowd and overlap each other making it difficult to clean and maintain.
When should I get braces?
While there is no age limit to when you can opt for an orthodontic treatment, it is often suggested to start the treatment at a younger age for best results with limited discomfort. At Floss Dental we treat children as young as 8 years old along with adults who are 30 years old. Our orthodontists help you evaluate the problem and make the right decision.
What will be the duration of my treatment?
The duration of your orthodontic treatment will depend on a combination of factors such as your age, seriousness of problem, and the course of treatment opted. Generally, the treatment lasts longer for adults as their bone is dense and firm in comparison to teenagers and younger children. Most patients wear their braces for approximately 2 years and are required to regularly visit their dentist over that period.
What types of braces are available at Floss Dental?
At Floss Dental we offer a range of orthodontic treatments depending on patient preference and extent of bad bite. These may include:
- Removable Appliances –These are appliances which may be removed by the patient at their own will. Their success is determined by the patient’s cooperation to wear it. These are generally used in young children to intercept and treat skeletal problems before they worsen with age by harnessing natural forces from oro – facial muscles and bringing them to act on the teeth and surrounding tissues (myofunctional appliances). Removable appliances can also be used to treat minor spaces and tooth irregularities.
- Fixed Appliances –The most common fixed appliances, braces consist of bands, wires and/or brackets. Bands are fixed around the teeth while brackets are most often bonded to the front of the tooth. Arch wires are passed through the brackets and attached to the bands. Tightening of these arch wire puts tension on the teeth, gradually moving them to their ideal position. Wires are changed monthly to bring about the desired results, which may be achieved within a few months to a few years. Today’s braces are smaller, lighter and show far less metal than in the past. They come in bright colors for kids as well as clear styles preferred by many adults.
Other than these new technology in the field of Orthodontics is Clear Aligners.
- Clear Aligners – These are virtually invisible trays that use an innovative approach to effectively straighten teeth. This treatment uses a series of custom-made removable aligners with unique smartforce technology that gradually moves your teeth to the ideal position.
What are the benefits of Clear Aligners/Invisalign?
- As these aligners are barely noticeable, one can be yourself and there is no need to hide your smile while going through the treatment.
- These appointments work with one’s schedule. Most visits are in and out with a quick progress check once every 6-8 weeks.
- These aligners let you continue wearingyour aligners without the worry of sharp brackets hurting your gums or cheek.
- Freedom to eat, chew and drink whatever you like as they are removable.
- Oral hygiene is easier to upkeep as these are removable, one can brush and floss regularly.
- Visible results from as early as first month.